THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, RIVERSIDE
Rank and Salary Scale
Assistant Librarian - Associate Librarian – Librarian ($47,722 - $88,253)
Research and Instructional Services
The University of California, Riverside seeks a dynamic, innovative, and service-oriented Business Librarian to join the Teaching and Learning Services team to serve as a liaison to the School of Business Administration (SoBA), A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management (AGSM), and to the Economics Department in the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS).
Located an hour’s drive to the east of Los Angeles, an hour west of Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley, an hour east of ocean beaches, ninety minutes north of San Diego, and an hour south of mountain ski resorts, UCR is located in an area of dramatic landscapes and rich cultural traditions. The University is a dynamic, aggressively-developing land grant research institution dedicated to preparing its diverse student body to be successful competitors in the world marketplace of ideas. UCR boasts the first new School of Medicine to open on the West Coast in forty-three years; a new School of Public Policy; and the Bourns College of Engineering, ranked 10th in the world according to an international ranking organization.
SoBA is a nationally-ranked and internationally-recognized business school, and is the alma mater of over 14,000 alumni. It is home to the largest undergraduate business program in the University of California system. It is also home to the AGSM, which features MBA, Ph.D. Flexible MBA, Master of Professional Accountancy (MPAc) and Master of Finance programs. The Economics Department in CHASS offers B.A economics; business economics; economics and administrative studies; and economics law and society.
The AGSM is one of the fastest growing graduate business schools in Southern California, shaping the future by developing leading thinkers who will stand at the forefront of business growth. Enhancing graduate and professional education at UCR is one of the strategic goals of the UCR Strategic Plan 2020 (http://strategicplan.ucr.edu/documents/UCR%202020%20-%20Final.pdf). The plan specifically calls for increased graduate and professional enrollment, as well as graduate student diversity, and graduate student support. The AGSM is expected to grow significantly over the next five years.
UCR is a world-class research university with an exceptionally diverse undergraduate student body. Its mission is explicitly linked to providing routes to educational success for underrepresented and first-generation college students. A commitment to this mission is a preferred qualification.
The UCR Library is a critical partner in preparing UCR’s students to be globally competitive while simultaneously preparing them for careers in the Inland Empire and beyond. The mission of the UCR Library is no less than to bring the world’s information resources to the UCR community and to ensure that UCR students, faculty, and staff have the skills to fully exploit those resources to change the world for the better.
The UCR Library is building a team of intensely collaborative, forward-thinking colleagues dedicated to providing excellent services to our students, faculty, and community members in a rapidly evolving information environment. The successful candidate will be technologically sophisticated; committed to problem-solving in local, regional, national, and international arenas; and able to develop innovative solutions to complex problems.
The UCR Library is comprised of four facilities housing more than 3,000,000 volumes, 97,000 print and electronic journals, and 2,300,000 microforms. The Library provides services to more than 21,000 students and 1,830 faculty and other academics in an organization that is planning for and experiencing extensive growth. The successful candidate will join an enthusiastic staff of 118 librarians and support personnel (including student FTE) in the work of building a research library of excellence within a dynamic and diverse university ranked among the top 50 in the nation. The UCR Library is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL). Among the unique collections of the UCR Library are the Water Resources Collections and Archives, the Rupert Costo Library of the American Indian, the Paul Chou Collection of Chinese history and culture, the George Brown Papers, collections documenting the Tuskegee Airmen, and the Eaton Collection of Science Fiction & Fantasy. Information about the UCR Library is available at http://library.ucr.edu.
The UCR Library is an integral part of the University of California library system. With collections totaling 30 million volumes, UC’s more than 100 libraries are surpassed in size on the American continent only by the Library of Congress collection. In addition, UC’s California Digital Library provides the core of the University’s digital collections. CDL also assists UC to share resources and holdings more effectively, and provides leadership in applying technology to the development of library collections and services. Organizationally situated within the UC Office of the President, the CDL operates in close collaboration with all UC campuses and their libraries. SoBA is a nationally-ranked and internationally-recognized business school, and is the alma mater of over 14,000 alumni. It is home to the largest undergraduate business program in the University of California system. It is also home to the AGSM, which features MBA, Ph.D. Flexible MBA, Master of Professional Accountancy (MPAc) and Master of Finance programs. The Economics Department in CHASS offers B.A economics; business economics; economics and administrative studies; and economics law and society.
UC professional librarians are academic appointees and are represented by an exclusive bargaining unit, University Council-American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT). This position is in the bargaining unit.
Reporting to the Director of Teaching and Learning Services, the Business Librarian will build relationships with the faculty, researchers and students in the SoBA, AGSM and the Economics Department in CHASS to enhance course integrated instruction, facilitate access to information, build excellent collections, and meet the research and information literacy needs of the faculty and students. The Business Librarian will focus on developing a strong and proactive graduate information literacy program for AGSM and working with the faculty ensure appropriate collections and datasets to support the graduate degree programs.
• Partners with the faculty and students in SoBA, AGSM, and the Department of Economics to provide instruction and research services;
• Develops and provides instruction for a structured information literacy program integrated into the curriculum for graduate students in the AGSM;
• Develops and provides instruction for a structured information literacy program integrated into the curriculum for undergraduates in the areas of business administration, finance, accounting, management and economics;
• Provides instruction and support for advanced databases and specialized online research tools and datasets for the graduate-level business and economics disciplines;
• Provides general library instruction, orientation, tours and workshops as needed;
• Provides general reference service online and in person;
• Develops research-related materials and learning objects;
• Identifies, evaluates and selects business and economics resources (especially databases and datasets) working closely with the faculty in the SOBA, AGSM and Department of Economics; participates in UC groups when collaborating on consortial purchases and the licensing of resources across several UC campuses;
• Develops an understanding of the data needs of those working in business and economics and works with other librarians to meet the data management of the students and faculty;
• Develops new services as new needs arise for business and economics following trends in entrepreneurship and innovation; acquires the latest knowledge and skills to retain expertise in business research; and engages in scholarly, creative and professional activities;
• Leads efforts to integrate business library services into relevant campus programs and university initiatives in the area of entrepreneurship;
• Participates in relevant library and business professional organizations, and takes an active role in state-wide, national and global business library initiatives;
• Participates in library-wide activities, administrative committees, special projects and library programs; represents the UCR Libraries on various University of California standing committees and ad-hoc groups;
• UCR librarians are members of the Librarians Association of the University of California (LAUC). Research, publication, and/or service to the University and profession are expected for continuing advancement;
• ALA-accredited Master’s Degree or equivalent experience or degree in one or more fields relevant to the position
• Experience providing undergraduate and graduate business reference and instruction in an academic setting
• Expertise with business and economic literature and resources, including specialized databases and datasets
• Demonstrated ability to think creatively
• Demonstrated experience developing library programs, including collaboration with faculty partners
• Demonstrated experience integrating research content and instruction into academic curriculum through course management systems or other ubiquitous online applications
• Familiarity with data management practices and services
• Demonstrated experience evaluating, selecting and maintaining library collections (print and online) in collaboration with faculty
• Strong organizational skills, and effectiveness in balancing multiple assignments and projects
• Ability to analyze, implement and adapt to evolving technologies
• Commitment to working in a collegial environment
• Demonstrated high level of initiative
• Effective oral and written communication
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work successfully in an intensely collaborative environment with a broad range of people from culturally diverse backgrounds including colleagues, administrators, students, faculty, donors, and alumni
• A Bachelor’s or subject Master’s degree related to business or economics
• Demonstrated experience with data management practices and services
• Demonstrated experience with patents and trademarks
• Demonstrated experience with evaluating, selecting and maintaining library collections for business and economic literature and resources, including specialized databases and datasets
• Experience or interest in working with small business owners, entrepreneurs or start-up companies
• Commitment to providing routes to educational success for underrepresented and first-generation college students
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Appointment at rank of Assistant Librarian, Associate Librarian or Librarian depending upon qualifications and experience. Excellent retirement system, health, and vacation benefits.
Please complete and submit the information requested in APRecruit (cover letter addressing qualifications and experience related to the primary duties of the position, resume/curriculum vitae, and three to five professional references as directed at https://aprecruit.ucr.edu/apply/JPF00545 . The final date to apply is April 11, 2016.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V. (pdf format)
Cover Letter - Cover Letter (pdf format)
Statement of Research - (pdf format) (Optional)
Statement of Teaching - (pdf format) (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through teaching, research, professional activity, and/or service. (pdf format)
Misc / Additional - (pdf format) (Optional)