Position overviewPosition title: Interpretation and Translation: English/Spanish Instructor
Open date: May 4, 2021
Most recent review date: Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Interpretation and Translation: English/Spanish Instructor
University of California, Riverside – Extension
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities’ air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UCR Extension is the continuing and professional education division of the University of California, Riverside offering over 80 programs and certificates to domestic and international students. This is a continuous recruitment for part-time instructors to teach courses in Extension’s Professional Certificate in Interpretation and Translation: English/Spanish program, to adult learners. The Professional Certificate in Interpretation and Translation: English/Spanish resides in the Professional Programs Department. This program prepares individuals to enter into the professional field of interpreting and formal translation. Courses are 7-10 weeks in length, average 4 teaching hours per week. Courses in this program are offered as synchronous online courses and in-person. Courses are typically scheduled in the early evenings, usually starting after 5:30pm, Monday through Friday, and occasionally on Saturdays. Please note due to COVID-19, in-person courses are not being offered at this time. All courses are currently being offered in a distance learning format (online). Courses include:
The US Court System: An Overview for Legal Interpreters
Comparative Analysis of the Structures of English and Spanish Languages
Introduction to Legal Interpretation
Sight Translation: English to Spanish
Professional Interpreting: Protocol and Ethics
• Provide instruction in accordance with the established instructional agreement, curriculum outlines and class schedules provided by University Extension.
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies to the course.
• Work in conjunction with collaborative partners and subject matter experts in order to ensure that course information is current.
• Participate in scheduled orientations, meetings, and mandatory training programs by UCR’s established deadlines.
• Maintain timely and accurate academic records within the learning management system and submit timely and accurate documentation as outlined in the instructional agreement.
• Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct.
• Advanced degree in Spanish Language or a related field, or equivalent experience.
• Five years of related work experience, i.e. medical, educational, community interpretation and/or translation.
• Bilingual, biliterate English/Spanish.
• Excellent verbal and written communication in English and Spanish, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to provide instruction online.
• A commitment to diversity.
• Experience teaching adult learners.
• Experience with curriculum development and course design.
To apply please visit https://aprecruit.ucr.edu/apply/JPF01401. This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be reviewed as vacancies occur. Interview process includes a teaching demonstration. For more information about UCR Extension, please visit http://www.extension.ucr.edu/. Programmatic information can be found https://extension.ucr.edu/certificates/37482117/CE3022/Interpretationan.
Instructional agreements are made on a course-by-course basis at the discretion of the University with no guarantee to teach future courses. This part-time position has no benefits but participates in the University of California Defined Contribution Plan. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence - In a “Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence”, we ask applicants to describe their past and/or potential future contributions to promoting a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, which is a key requirement of the role of every faculty member and administrator at UCR. There are numerous ways to contribute, and a commitment to this part of our mission can be reflected through research, teaching, supervision, mentoring, community engagement, service, and any of the other varied activities that are a part of an academic career.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 4-6 required (contact information only)
Extension will request a written reference for candidates who are in consideration for an offer of employment.