Open date: October 7th, 2020
Last review date: Monday, Nov 16, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
University of California, Riverside – Extension
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. UCR is a world-class research University with an exceptionally diverse undergraduate student body. Its mission is explicitly linked to providing routes to educational success for underrepresented and first-generation college students. A commitment to this mission is a preferred qualification. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities’ air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UCR Extension is the continuing and professional education division of the University of California, Riverside offering over 80 programs and certificates to domestic and international students. UCR Extension is seeking experienced professionals to join our instructional team as part-time instructors for adult learners. Successful candidates of this continuous recruitment will be eligible to teach XR courses as they are scheduled during the year. XR courses are University of California catalog courses administered and run by the campus’s Extension. The “X” designation stands for Extension, while the “R” stands for Riverside campus. The courses are taught by instructors and approved by the respective campus department/school/college and the Committee on Courses of the Academic Senate.
XR courses are designed for non-traditional, non-matriculating students. XR courses are designed to reach adult learners or other non-matriculated students such as high school students. They may, in some instances, be designed to serve matriculated university students in a specific way (e.g., helping transfer students meet requirements for admission to the university) with the expressed permission of the Dean of the appropriate college/school.
XR Courses are 10-12 weeks in length, average 3 hour lecture/ 1 hour discussion hours per week, and are offered online and in-person. Courses are currently delivered in a distance-learning format; however, they may be taught in a face to face format in the future when circumstances permit. Courses are typically scheduled days and evenings, Monday - Saturday. We seek instructors able to deliver courses in English and/or Spanish. Courses include:
ANTH XR005 – Introduction to Archaeology
Future Approved XR Courses in the field of Anthropology
ANTH XR001 – Cultural Anthropology
• Provide instruction in accordance with the established instructional agreement, curriculum outlines and class schedule provided by UCR Extension.
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies to the course.
• Work in conjunction with collaborative partners and subject matter experts in order to ensure that course information is current.
• Participate in scheduled orientations, meetings, and mandatory training programs by UCR’s established deadlines.
• Maintain timely and accurate academic records within the learning management system and submit timely and accurate documentation as outlined in the instructional agreement.
• Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct.
• Advanced degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
• Five years of related work experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to provide instruction online and in-person.
• Experience teaching adult learners.
• Experience with curriculum development and course design.
• Preference will be given to UCR Graduate students who are ABD, UCR graduates, and UCR Lecturers
• Bilingual English/Spanish. (Strongly preferred)
• Ability to teach a wide range of courses.
• Commitment to diversity and the University’s mission.
To apply please visit https://aprecruit.ucr.edu/apply/JPF01341. This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Interview process includes a teaching demonstration. For more information about UCR Extension, please visit http://www.extension.ucr.edu/.
Employment Information: Instructional agreements are made on a course-by-course basis at the discretion of the University with no guarantee to teach future courses. This part-time position has no benefits but participates in the University of California Defined Contribution Plan. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence - In a “Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence”, we ask applicants to describe their past and/or potential future contributions to promoting a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, which is a key requirement of the role of every faculty member and administrator at UCR. There are numerous ways to contribute, and a commitment to this part of our mission can be reflected through research, teaching, supervision, mentoring, community engagement, service, and any of the other varied activities that are a part of an academic career.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 4-6 required (contact information only)