Open date: May 28th, 2020
Last review date: Tuesday, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
K-12 Education Instructor
University of California, Riverside – Extension
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. UCR is a world-class research University with an exceptionally diverse undergraduate student body. Its mission is explicitly linked to providing routes to educational success for underrepresented and first-generation college students. A commitment to this mission is a preferred qualification. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities’ air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UCR Extension is the continuing and professional education division of the University of California, Riverside offering over 80 programs and certificates to domestic and international students. UCR Extension is seeking experienced professionals to join our instructional team as part-time instructors to teach K-12 classroom educators, adult learners and youth. Our courses and programs span across various K-12 topics. Successful candidates of this continuous recruitment will be eligible to teach courses as they are scheduled throughout the year. Courses are (6-10) weeks in length, average (10-15) teaching hours per week, and are offered predominantly online and occasionally in-person. Courses delivered in-person are typically scheduled in the early evenings Monday – Friday, and Saturday mornings. Courses are currently delivered in a distance-learning format. Some of the course content includes, but is not limited to, the following categories:
Advanced Teaching Skills
Designated Subject Credentialing
Subject Matter Specialization
Serving Students with Special Needs
Teaching English Learners
Student Services and Administration
Custom Courses for School Districts and County Office of Education
• Provide instruction in accordance with the established instructional agreement, curriculum outlines and class schedule provided by UCR Extension.
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies to the course.
• Work in conjunction with collaborative partners and subject matter experts in order to ensure that course information is current.
• Participate in scheduled orientations, meetings, and mandatory training programs by UCR’s established deadlines.
• Maintain timely and accurate academic records within the learning management system and submit timely and accurate documentation as outlined in the instructional agreement.
• Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct.
• Experience with K-12 curriculum and pedagogy.
• Experience with curriculum development and course design.
• Advanced degree in Education or a related field, or equivalent experience in a public K-12 school.
• Must have access to the internet, a computer/laptop, and ability to teach online.
• Five years of related work experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to provide instruction online and in-person.
• Experience with Canvas learning platform.
• Experience teaching and/or training public K-12 teachers.
• Experience teaching K-12 students within the California public school system.
• Bilingual English/Spanish.
• Ability to teach a wide range of courses.
• Commitment to diversity and the University’s mission.
To apply please visit https://aprecruit.ucr.edu/apply/JPF01283. This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Interview process includes a teaching demonstration. For more information about UCR Extension, please visit http://www.extension.ucr.edu/.
Instructional agreements are made on a course-by-course basis at the discretion of the University with no guarantee to teach future courses. This part-time position has no benefits but participates in the University of California Defined Contribution Plan. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence - In a “Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence”, we ask applicants to describe their past and/or potential future contributions to promoting a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, which is a key requirement of the role of every faculty member and administrator at UCR. There are numerous ways to contribute, and a commitment to this part of our mission can be reflected through research, teaching, supervision, mentoring, community engagement, service, and any of the other varied activities that are a part of an academic career.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)