Open date: July 1st, 2019
Last review date: Thursday, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
International Education Programs, within University of California Riverside Extension, invites applicants for a pool of part-time ESL teaching positions should openings arise in the areas of Intensive English Programs (IEP), IEP Youth and Group Programs, and Undergraduate Pathway Programs, as well as the Substitute Teaching Pool. Instructors will join an international education program that values excellence and has educated international students for over forty years. IEP classes include integrated skills, grammar, writing, reading, speaking & listening, and a range of elective topics. Instruction may also include test-prep classes, English for Specific Purposes (e.g. Business English, STEAM, Entrepreneurship, etc.), or American cultural topics. Part-time instructors are hired by-agreement and teach a variable schedule. Teaching assignments are determined shortly before classes begin and are based on course offerings and student enrollments.
All classes are on-ground classes. Classes meet Monday-Friday and are generally scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Provide instruction in accordance with the established Instructional Agreement, curriculum, course outlines and class schedules
- Participate in scheduled orientations, meetings, and complete mandatory training programs by UCR’s established deadlines
- Attend scheduled pre-program class-planning meeting
- Attend scheduled teachers meetings and in-services
- Become familiar with and follow IEP’s Instructor Manual and curricular guidelines
- Maintain timely, accurate academic records within the learning management system and submit all required course documentation by set deadlines
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities that support the instruction of student learning objectives with a communicative aim to fully engage participants and reinforce student learning
- Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics
- Master's degree in TESOL or Applied Linguistics; or in any field with a TESOL certificate
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching a wide range of ESL levels and skills including integrated skills
- Proficiency in English suitable to the position
- Successful candidates must be able to demonstrate that they are legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Minimum 2 years of successful ESL teaching experience including intensive English or similar with international students
- Experience with computer-aided instructions and learning management systems (i.e., Moodle, Canvas)
- Experience teaching English for Specific Purposes
- Experience teaching high school students
- Experience preparing students for TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, GRE, and/or GMAT
- Current active involvement in the field (i.e., TESOL, CATESOL)
- Proven record of contributions to a supportive team environment
- UCR is a world-class research university with an exceptionally diverse undergraduate student body. Its mission is explicitly linked to providing routes to educational success for underrepresented and first-generation college students. A commitment to this mission is a preferred qualification.
This is an ongoing recruitment. Part-time instructor applications are accepted throughout the year. When the department has a need to fill, they refer to the pool of applications on file. Part-time, temporary assignments are filled on an as needed basis.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter addressing the basic requirements and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum vitae (including education degrees, teaching sites inclusive of teaching dates, professional organization membership and level of activity
- Statement of contributions to diversity
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the instructor has no guarantee, expressed or implied, of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
A background check must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered employment with UCR. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may impact the application status of applicants.
Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. Selected candidates will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence - In a “Statement of Past and/or Planned Future Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence”, we ask applicants to describe their past and/or potential future contributions to promoting a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, which is a key requirement of the role of every faculty member and administrator at UCR. There are numerous ways to contribute, and a commitment to this part of our mission can be reflected through research, teaching, supervision, mentoring, community engagement, service, and any of the other varied activities that are a part of an academic career.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)